Thursday, January 11, 2007

Swearing off PDA

I'm almost three weeks now without a PDA, and so far I'm ok.

It started when I bought myself the new Treo 700, thinking it was time to upgrade from my old 600. It was such an awful investment, plus at the same time my incoming emails and workload seemed to come to a crescendo, combined with a heavy spam attack for Christmas (eluded two layers of spam filtering), and I said, "That's it!"

I realized that having an "always on" life at some point loses efficiency. Especially if all your friends and colleagues have PDAs too, then you're just passing work back and forth faster and faster and there's sort of a diminishing return in terms of sanity.

So I'm "off the grid" - I now have to check my email on a computer like everyone else. I can't peruse my daily newsletters on the subway. I will have to get back to your request in a day, not five minutes.

I'm thinking this was a good move. I'll let you know later how long I hold out.